 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4036
4035  |  4037
Subject:
Sony's New Biped 'Bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:39:38 GMT

Straight from the top of Sony Tower in Tokyo comes this press release on a
newly developed "entertainment robot" - the SDR-4X:
http://www.sony.co.jp/en/SonyInfo/News/Press/200203/02-0319E/

The SDR-4X is without any doubt a prototype successor to the widely
successful AIBO bot series. As always Sony haven't wasted any time, and
packed this puppy full of amazing features. From sound direction detection,
to true stereo depth perception; from wireless connection to your PC, to
human face recognition.

Be sure to check out both videos available on the website. The first one
shows off movement of all 38 joints in all 28 degrees of freedom. A lot of
fun and impressive stuff - walking up and down a ladder, keeping balance
under external forces, turning on a spot, getting up from the ground, etc.
The second video is definitely an envy of Steven Hawking - 'emotional sound'
synthesis, a big leap forward from the cold-as-steel 'robot' voice.

I also got a chance to snap some pictures from the Discovery channel:

rtlToronto 11: Entertainment 'Bots anyone? :))

Ivan