 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4035
Re: new catalogue arrival
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:43:24 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
it had the Spiderman set, and the Green Hornet set ...
The Green Hornet

    ~Easy there Kato!           =)

I do believe you mean the 'Green Goblin'…

<still gigglin'>

Oh, an no, I haven’t received the new Mania Magazine as of yet.

                         -R

Ooops.... :)
I stand corrected....yes, the green goblin...sorry!!
this wasn't a Mania Magazine, it was a shop@home catalogue....

a thought....with all these wasted resources going into "redundant"
catalogues, wouldn't resources be better spent trying to return to
more classic ways of product development.....

I personally don't like this concept of putting out "easy" sets because
kids today are part of the "video-game crowd".  I really don't buy that...
take away the hype and all of the bionicle sets, and say compare them to
the relative inexpensive of a run of classic system sets (say 1988-1994)
and put the two together....I think that parents would definitely buy
the classic sets in a heartbeat, and the kids would prefer them.
At least this is my guess...maybe I am being biased because of my experiences,
maybe kids this day in age are that "faddish".

Another point to look at is that I remember there was just as many other things
to buy when I was younger....GI Joe, Transformers, regular train sets, slot
cars, etc., even video games like Colleco, Atari, etc.

What I think is that a global brand like Lego has decided to cut a whole bunch
of corners, like in product design, packaging, even method of delivery
(having all the good sets available at Shop@home), etc. in order for it
to perceive to make a reasonable profit.  Too bad it back-fired.  People
aren't interested in saving a company money, they want the best toy for their
value.....

Maybe I'm still focused on this issue, and way off topic, but it just
frustrates me immensely when I see some of the stuff Lego has put out....
then I remember the experiences of last week, and seeing some "decent" stuff
on clearance.

I guess I'll have to focus in on that, or else hope that there is some more
great stuff in the wings.

Ben