 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4028
Re: A New Project
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:37:48 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Forget the Duck Assembly Carousel. What if I could actually make a • machine,
that could build the actual DUCK?!

http://www.kiracorp.co.jp/EG/pro/rp/RP_process.html

That's pretty cool.  I would have never used paper profiles.

But that's probably the easiest method to do via LEGO (still quite a
tackle!)

What you need is a stereolithography machine for rapid prototyping using
resin that's cured with a laser.  Or the cornstarch one.  That's nifty. • The
laser actually traces out the profile of each layer which hardens in a • pool
of liquid material.

http://www.stereolithography.com/

Yes, I know. But can we do that with LEGO? No. No LEGO Laser. And my dad's
Laser pointer isn't powerful enough to burn paper. That's why I posted only
the link with the Paper Laminate Technique (PLT).  :)

Stero Lithography and Selective Laser Sintering is just *creepy*. What
actually spurned all this was a commercial for PING I saw during dinner. The
intro shot was a deposition machine building up the head of a club. REALLY
cool. I've been looking for video clips, and darn it, I can't find any!

Since you're so quick with URL's I'd like you to please find me a video clip
now. Mr Smarty pants. :)

The goal of this contest is to build an autonomous robot that assembles an
accurate 3D volumetric model of Chris Magno's head wins.

SHUT UP!!!!! I WAS SO DOING THAT!!!!!

-You can use any material for the source material, including resin, yarn, • or
pieces of toast.

* Bob Fay take Note

And yes, one of my original ideas was to use glue-laden yarn. Lay it down in
a coil pattern. Coily yarn-glue duck. Ewwwww. Definately will use duplo. And
paridisa parts. And a metroliner nose cone for the yarn nozzle.

I could see Chris posting Anti-Chris times within a few weeks (the inverse
of his head, the maximum amount of material required to assemble) soon • after
this post.

I JUST BANGED VIOLENTLY ON THE DESK AND LAUGHED OUT

MY LOVELY PUDDING IS NOW ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!

    Iain