 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3740
Re: Hey TrainHeads ! The SuperChief is on Lego's site! (item 10020)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 16:58:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
No, but I'd guess around...$70 to $75 CAD?  Overpriced.  I'd pay $30-40 for
it, tops--that's when I can get a full 4561 with track, motor, speedreg, and
wheelsets for $45 at Sears Clearance.  S@H seems to think Canadian dollars
scale 1:1.55 linearly.

Um, why wouldn't they? Today's rate is 1 US Dollar = 1.58860 Canadian (from
the OANDA site) and that rate applies to one dollar or one thousand, ne?

Yes, the actual currency conversion is linear.  But the purchasing power of
a Canadian dollar in Canada goes much further at retail.  Everything is more
expensive in America-for example, how much is a can of pop at a US pop
machine?  A US dollar.

This isn't a perfect example, because I've seen pop in unsubsidised pop
machines vary in price from 35 cents to 1.65 (seriously!) It's fairly rare
that its a buck, actually. The median price nowadays seems to be around 65
to 75 cents.

But what I think you're getting at is that some companies price things in
Canada in a way to hit the target market they are aiming for rather than as
a straight translation.

OK. I agree with you.

And it provides arbitrage opportunities, sometimes. I can go to Windsor and
exploit that differential if it's large enough. (not just for LEGO(r) at
Zellers(r), for all my other vices as well, most of which I won't go into
here) And that's apparently what the government of Canada (and the US??)
wants. I get my GST refunded and I pay no US duty on the way in.

But for other things, the price is skewed the other way, whether it be for
tax reasons or whatever. Price cigs or gas in Canada. Much of the time they
are much much higher. But the government of Canada makes it hard for
Canadians to exploit those differentials when they exist in the other direction.

So you Canadians are kind of getting a raw deal. But it's a bigger issue
than just LEGO I think. However, feel free to try to convince LEGO to change
their pricing to hit that value oriented bargain shopper. The problem is,
for a limited edition item, why should they? (what is their motivation to do
so?)

This is the closest we've ever come after years and years of all European
stuff. You may like euro and that's great, but be happy for those of us who
are finally getting what we want. :-)

I suppose someone is happy with 10020, but American rolling stock (ie, the
My Own Train stuff) and this latest engine typify the Americanization of the
entire Lego product line for me.  I guess you can't please everyone.

Indeed. Time will tell but I suspect this item will be quite popular,
implying that many many NA  rolling stock fans WILL be pleased for each
disgruntled euro rolling stock fan. Nothing WRONG with having different
tastes of course...

I'm done, I think. If you want to FUT, you may want to FUT .debate instead.
I dunno.