 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3739
Re: Hey TrainHeads ! The SuperChief is on Lego's site! (item 10020)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:54:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:
No, but I'd guess around...$70 to $75 CAD?  Overpriced.  I'd pay $30-40 for
it, tops--that's when I can get a full 4561 with track, motor, speedreg, and
wheelsets for $45 at Sears Clearance.  S@H seems to think Canadian dollars
scale 1:1.55 linearly.

Um, why wouldn't they? Today's rate is 1 US Dollar = 1.58860 Canadian (from
the OANDA site) and that rate applies to one dollar or one thousand, ne?

Yes, the actual currency conversion is linear.  But the purchasing power of
a Canadian dollar in Canada goes much further at retail.  Everything is more
expensive in America-for example, how much is a can of pop at a US pop
machine?  A US dollar.  How much is a can of pop at a Canadian pop machine?
Is it $1.55 CAD?  No.  It's $1.00 CAD.  Better yet, the list price for a
3033 tub is $20 USD.  Wouldn't that be $30 Canadian?  No, it's $24 CAD.

Now, admittedly, the can of pop thing is more a question of convenience, I
don't think I'm alone in being unhappy with the S@H prices ever since they
closed up the Markham office.  There's some nutballs here who don't mind
blowing $300-400 per S@H order, but I'm just not one of them, I have a
mortage to plan for, so when we see $39.99 USD, it really means $75 CAD.
And it really should be more like $50 CAD.

Then, factor in the part where Canadians are primarily value oriented
bargain hunters in the retail sector.  That means we have sales, regularly.
Which makes S@H even MORE overpriced.

This is the closest we've ever come after years and years of all European
stuff. You may like euro and that's great, but be happy for those of us who
are finally getting what we want. :-)

I suppose someone is happy with 10020, but American rolling stock (ie, the
My Own Train stuff) and this latest engine typify the Americanization of the
entire Lego product line for me.  I guess you can't please everyone.

Calum