 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3447
Re: Here's the thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 16:59:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
How can these manufacturers not include a serial port!! Shame!!
So anyone have a USB tower they wanna sell me?

Actually there's been an overall PC industry goal of legacy free PCs lately
(ie, USB and Firewire externally only, so no more IEEE1284 parallel, RS232
serial, PS2 key/mouse etc) and laptops have led the charge.  I had to fight
to get a Latitude CPxJ versus a Latitude CSx from Dell, mainly because I
need the serial port to console into switches...

...but yeah, Mario's machine is like this too.  Only USB, no floppy (!), and
get this, a PCMCIA slot with TWO slot positions but ONLY ONE ELECTRICAL
CONNECTOR.  How's that for cheap?  We tried for like 20 minutes trying to
push a PCMCIA card into the top slot.  Over and over again.  And we couldn't
get it in.  Finally, we held the thing on edge and noticed, hey, there's a
slot, but there's no PINS?!?@(*#&(*@&(#!

LEGO Systems wants 38 dollars US to send me a 'replacement' tower, and I
hafta get a money order together (S@H takes Visa, Replacement is COD--waht's
with that?)

How about just buying the IR tower from Pitsco Dacta or Spectrum?  Canadian
funds for Spectrum.  They should have the tower.

Anyway, programming/testing is stopped on Runamok 'bot until this gets
worked out.

Sure...good excuse.  We've taken over a complete Dell P3/550 workstation now
for ProjectX here. :)

p.s. this happened halfway thru West Wing last night--this show just
continues to get better.  It's *almost* replacing Sports Night as my
favourite show of all time.

Last night's (Two Bartlets) was really inconsistent.   Maybe I'm missing
something from the first season, but the last scene with Toby telling off
the president was really confusing.   I did like the bit with Josh and Amy
though.

Sports Night
West Wing
B5
MASH

West Wing and Alias are the two I regularily watch.  Agreed on MASH and West
Wing, Sports Night unfortunately I didn't catch during their short run.
Didn't like B5 at all.  Being an Amiga user, it was mandatory watching for
the first episode to see Ron Thornton/Foundation Imaging's first broadcast
showing.  Back then, OOOOH, texture maps!  Bump mapping!  Gaseous masses!
Fun with specularity!  But now, ick, it looks so bad.  Shiny space station!
Side note:  Lord of the Rings was well done mainly because the CGI didn't
jump out at you and smack you in the head and say, hey, I'm CGI!  Thorton's
stuff was just...maybe it was the scifi.  I guess I'm not into scifi enough.

Calum