 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3401
  Point Motor Instructions

Hi folks, I still occasionally get requests for information on my old automatic point motor. Well, I've long since moved to a more compact and reliable model, and after the rtlToronto Train3 show last weekend, I've decided to post the instructions (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jan-02, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) What does the lever engage? How easy is it to tell when the turnout is at the right location? I can see the value of building at least a couple of these for our show layout. Our layout had one turnout which was basically impossible to reach (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) The hole at the end of the lever attaches to the top of the standard-issue yellow point lever. The + shaped hole in the baseplates will seat over the lever housing in an obvious way. I usually listen for my points to click, but you might want (...) (22 years ago, 26-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) don't risk damaging the point or the motor. I will get around to DATting one of mine, eventually - though it doesn't make such a cute little shack. Jason J Railton (22 years ago, 27-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains)

Jason J. Railton wrote in message ... (...) point (...) and (...) You can also prevent this by using one of those white Technic 'Tooth Clutch' / reduction gears as I did here: (URL) I realise that this setup needs some perfectioning (anyone? feel (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) Jeff - That looks like a very tight and solid design. I've made some reciprocating designs for point motors, but they all had some slop built into the design that lead to some delay in the switching action. On the outside (I haven't built it (...) (22 years ago, 31-Jan-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) Another neat one - mine looks pretty similar, though I use a belt drive. Those white gears are a bit hard to come by, and I don't have any of those steering plates with a built-in rack either. Still, using a steering bar and a 1x4 rack only (...) (22 years ago, 1-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Point Motor Instructions

(...) I built Jeff's motor design, and I can answer these questions now... This design is really much better than most I've seen, as it passes many benchmarks for low number of pieces, predictable motion, solid switching, and remains integral after (...) (22 years ago, 8-Feb-02, to lugnet.trains)