 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2345
Re: shamefully yours.... :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 04:11:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
if there wasn't this group, how many of us afol's would be into
LEGO as much as we are?

I can say for a FACT that the (inadvertent) creation of the group was to
promote building.

and even more is that the Robot contests and train (things) really do a
lot to get the building going.

what to build if you have no one to share with?

I think for me, similarly, the real benefit of rtlToronto has been the
inspiration and enthusiasm generated by a group of people with a common
interest.

When we started the first rtlToronto event (then called the 3rd Annual
Toronto Lego Robotics Event) it was mainly because we knew it would be fun
to bring people together like we did in years past (it was literally the 3rd
year we'd done this, unlike further rtlToronto events which say 7th Annual
but really mean 7th event overall) but more than that, to give something
concrete for people to build towards: namely, a robot that could do
"something" (being marble sorting in the first incarnation)

(Aside: "Something" could very well have become "random pounding until ABS
dust fills the Theatre" but thankfully Jeff Elliott's ideas prevailed.)

I literally sat there with my Mindstorms in the early summer of 98 thinking
of what to build with it and could not think of anything that was remotely
useful.  Call me stupid, with a lack of creativity, energy or discipline,
but I just could not think of anything.  Starting rtl3 made it something to
work towards.  Mind you, I still can't build anything with my Mindstorms,
but it's not for a lack of a project anymore :)

It's getting people out there, doing the demos-over-deli-smoked-meat, the
explanations in the newsgroup, the dinner arguments, the ringside chats at
the events, the module bolting, bridge finagling fun, the robots, the
trains, the one off weird things that people bring along (a robotic
Godzilla?  A servo driven dog?  A 8 wide GO train?)

Calum