 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2314
Re: shamefully yours.... :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 18:17:49 GMT

Lately I've been checking out the S@H phone specials...

Picked up 2 Arachnoid bases, verrry sweet
2 Aquazone bases (again, sweet)
and that grasshopper looking thingy... forget all these set numbers...

That is nice...have you seen the Neptune Discovery set (early Aquazone set)
believe set number is 6195.  That is a particularly sweet set, and has a very
nice submarine with it.

The submarine that came with the aquazone base is now sitting at the bottom
of my fish tank--liked that part of the set but the actual base sucks.
dunno what they were thinking...

I have the metroliner deluxe on order, with 2 club cars, so that'll be
october...

very nice.  I am still waiting on my government check ($600 education monthly
check) ... that or the enlistment bonus for the guard...and an order for
the metroliner kit (with another club car) will go in.

and what else... if the pirate ship is the next classics to be released,
i'll probably get that too, cause i saw that years ago, wanted it but was in
a pseudo 'dark ages' where i just used the pieces i had and didn't buy new sets.

Uuuugh Dave, they have the Red Beard Runner...6290 for $99.99 USD. (Lego
Classic). Unfortunately on backorder.  There is some talk about either the
Black Sea Barracuda or the Skull Eye Schooner to be made into a Lego Legend
in the future....

by the way, ever since i met up with the rtl community, i feel vindicated in
my appreciation for the little company in denmark, and my building/buying
has been directly proportional to this newfound vindication, though I did
buy the rcx before i met you guys and LOVED it.

i wonder... if there wasn't this group, how many of us afol's would be into
LEGO as much as we are?  I mean, I created before I met all of you, but it
was like, buildthe truck, let it sit for 6 months... look at it, modify it
and let it sit for another 6 months... sometimes build something else when
time/opportunity warranted.  but now, with my involvement in rtl, the LEGO
really hasn't been put away.  Hmmmm... just a thought.

Acutally, one day in the 2nd year of my enlistment into the army, I was bored.
So I went into the Toys R US (in Clarksville, Tennessee), and saw for the
first time the 4561.  It was a train.  I had always wanted a train even back
in 1985 when I started collecting.  I didn't have the money to ever buy a
train set, so having a bit of "discretionary" income, I bought the set.
I came home, and saw a few more things I liked: a Night Lord's castle, and
the crisis news crew, and I believe a chopper cop ATV.  My (2nd) Lego Dark AGE
was over and I got back into it, and in a very big way.

That fall, I "discovered" e-bay.  BAD MOVE.  Through it, (and up to now) I
was able to multiply (definitely more than doubled) my previous collection.
I also was looking at Lugnet's Pause Magazine Lists of all lego themes.
Then just at Christmas time, I decided to look around Lugnet's main page,
and new that I had to become a member.

I was then fooling around with it, saw the map, and found out that there was
a group in the area I was going to go to (or back to).  Thus is basically my
story about RTL.  I read that Calum was hosting  a Train Event, and
coincidentily that is when I was coming home.  That was a miracle.

Ofcourse, then there is the story of how Iain and I met on-line.  He had
AIM, and before May 2001, I was a dedicated user of AOL.  He posted to me (I
think in March) and asked me about Lego and stuff, since he had seen a
posting or two from me to RTL, I think I was announcing my existance to the
group, or something like that.
Then he found out I was in the US military.  Yikes.  Anyways...the rest of that
story is pretty much classified....

just telling some interesting stories.  (and some of them were just this
year).  My ultimate point is that I was "into" lego well before I seen
Lugnet: incl. being member of Lugnet/persistant (and annoying) attender /
poster of RLT.

Benjamin Medinets