 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 22
Next Game: Hockey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:43:04 GMT

Boo! My other post didn't show.

I had responded to Dave Koudys' post about the blockstacking, and size
limits. Anyway...

In that message I had suggested the idea of hockey for our next competition.
Small robots, shouldn't be larger than 20 cm^3 (easy), could either face off
against each other, or in teams of two (4 robots at once). Idea is you have
two programs - one for black, one for white. We use the same board as the
marble game.

A single, black puck (or maybe Technic tyre, although that really doens't
have a lot of mass to it, making it difficult to detect... geting to that!),
would be placed say, in the centre of the feild. Robots face off there. Rule
might be something like the "gripper" on the robot used for moving the puck
must not extend more than halfway over the circumference of the puck, and
can't physically "grip" the puck. This means the other robot can grab it if
it can get to it. There is a "C" shaped Znap-piece I'm holding here which
looks dandy for this...

Using just the parts in mindstorms, we could use one light sensor looking at
the floor for colour. One touch sensor for bumpers. And one touch sensor to
detect if "yes, we do have the puck, and now we are special."

When robot does find puck, it could blast out IR. "Haha! Look at me, you
stupid git! I've got the puck, and you don't!". Now, you gotta score. How
can we do that? Why not just try and put the puck in the other guy's nest?
IE, wallfollow until find the appropriate colour of nest, back off - viola,
goal.

The beauty of this is that if we've got bots that can SAY they have the puck
to the other bot, then the other bot can wallfollow too, and try to get the
other guy. Yes, you can wallfollow with one touch sensor. Build it. :) When
the other guy detects puck, he could say "OH! OH!". I don't know. Put sound
in your code, dammit! Jin's robots sound so nice. I don't know how he does
that.

I really like this. We could have tiny robots running around like crazy. We
need a protocall, which isn't hard, really. I'm thinking we always have
black as master and white as slave or something like that. Meaning, we start
white's program first.. it waits for an IR signal from black (when run is
pressed on it) to start simultaneously. That would be "cool". So 1 could be
"start". 2 could be e-stop (shrug, doesnt have to be used), and 5 could be
black does have puck, 32 could be white does have puck. It seems whenever
people do protocals, they leave these obscenely large gaps in between
numbers. So I did the same thing. Programmers are weird.

Hmm, what else? I think that's about it. We could either play by time or by
goal. IE first bot to get goal wins. It's kind of difficult to recover from
a reset when a bot pushes a puck in, so it would actually be kind of
dirty-silly to go by time. That is, of course, unless someone else can think
of something I've missed. Someone build a referee bot that can find the puck
and put it back in the centre.

Sounds fun, don't it? I'm going over to St. Jacobs this afternoon (I hate
school) to pick up two more gearmotors because I don't want to take appart
robot21 to build a demo for this for the dinner on Friday. One of mine DIED.
So mad. Will LEGO replace it? I mean, I turn the shaft and it goes grind
grind. Do not like. I've heard this is common. "You always think it'll
happen to someone else. I never thought this could happen to me."

    Iain