 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 27
Re: Next Game: Hockey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:44:10 GMT

I wrote:

In that message I had suggested the idea of hockey for our next • competition.
Small robots, shouldn't be larger than 20 cm^3 (easy), could either face • off
against each other, or in teams of two (4 robots at once). Idea is you • have
two programs - one for black, one for white. We use the same board as the
marble game.

Then Dave replied:

the hockey idea is great.  i've worked with the light sensor to try to • pick
out dark objects at a distance against a white background.  the only issue • i
can potentially see is that the 'bots, as well as the puck, will be dark.
so if my 'bot spins until it detects 'dark', it could be detecting one of • the
other 3 'bots on the field, or the puck.

No no no. :) Did you see all of my post? I was thinking just run around
until you "touch" a puck. Make the mouth of your bot so the robot won't
extend over half of the puck but will only accept that shape. Make sure your
puck detector won't trigger when you bump into a wall. The robots could run
around fast enough (another object of the game) so that complex
puck-locating techniques wouldn't really be needed. Besides, you'll have to
use your light sensor to look at the floor to find the "goal".

This is all assuming you've got only one mindstorms box. I'm assuming that
really, that's a fair way to design a game, simply because I can forsee that
not a lot of people might have more than one kit. Of course, if we want, we
could put a light bulb on the top of the puck, and use two light sensors -
one looking at the floor, one spining looking for a brightest light... turn
off all the lights in the theatre? What if you're scared of the dark?

if so, then i can test at home by having my bobby orr 'bot home in onto my
other rcx.

LMAO!!!!!!! THOUGHT YOU SAID "COME ON TO", AND WAS IMAGINING TWO RCX's
TRYING TO DRY HUMP!!!!!!!

'so champ, when you were deep into the 3rd period and the score was • against
you, how did it feel to come out of the corner and get that goal?'
beep beep boop bwaap....
this could be fun

dave 'reminiscing about when he actually liked hockey--dave keon, darryl
sittler, et al...' koudys

You know what's weird? I just realized I don't have a hockey puck. I'll have
to stop in at Wal Mart or something on my way to the St. Jacobs store. I
hate that name for a city. North Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge sounds better.
I can't believe it used to be Kitchener-Waterloo/Preston-Galt-Hespler. That
totally floors me.

    Iain