 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 25
Re: Next Game: Hockey
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:10:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Boo! My other post didn't show.

I had responded to Dave Koudys' post about the blockstacking, and size
limits. Anyway...

In that message I had suggested the idea of hockey for our next competition.
Small robots, shouldn't be larger than 20 cm^3 (easy), could either face off
against each other, or in teams of two (4 robots at once). Idea is you have
two programs - one for black, one for white. We use the same board as the
marble game.

i know what that's like, replied to a few posts last night and they didn't
show.
the hockey idea is great.  i've worked with the light sensor to try to pick
out dark objects at a distance against a white background.  the only issue i
can potentially see is that the 'bots, as well as the puck, will be dark.
so if my 'bot spins until it detects 'dark', it could be detecting one of the
other 3 'bots on the field, or the puck.
that's where Jin's puck comes in... only one object would be putting out an ir
signal.
can we fake it for testing purposes by using another rcx transmitting
continuously?  is the puck sending out the same signal wave as the rcx?
if so, then i can test at home by having my bobby orr 'bot home in onto my
other rcx.  if i really get with it, i could have the other rcx set itself up
to move around, start a game of cat and mouse.
anyway, thoughts.
loving the idea.
we need dave hodge there for commentary...
'so champ, when you were deep into the 3rd period and the score was against
you, how did it feel to come out of the corner and get that goal?'
beep beep boop bwaap....
this could be fun
dave 'reminiscing about when he actually liked hockey--dave keon, darryl
sittler, et al...' koudys