 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 21
Re: Next competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 22:32:51 GMT

hey Dave:

Ok, here is my take on this.

Bruce managed to put across a convincing argument about size and RCX's

basically his point (and I agree) is that really, no one will show up
with a 7' x 7' bot.

of course this is pure speculation and NOT a challenge

Even if someone showed up with a 4' x 4' bot.... that would be cool. the
game would go on and we would see bots that are HUGE.

I think the point here is to see what we can do without limitations.  we
all can do really neat stuff in under 1 foot but what can we do if we
have no limits.  in this way the only limits are your lego collection.
if you only have one mindstorms set and can still enter that will be so
cool.  if you have more bricks than lego and can enter a 4 rcx, 18
motor,  72 batter pack beast... then heck i wanna see it.

the same holds true for the number of allowed bricks.  we can all build
a bot with one brick.  but like the above example what could you do with
2 bricks.  the concession to this rule change is the scoring.  to make
it fair to people who only have one rcx we modified the scoring system
so that a 2 rcx robot will need to build twice as hi OR twice as many
towers to equal the score of a one rcx bot with the same height tower(s)

in conversation it has been pointed out that the extra hassle of weight
and programming just barely make it worth while to use a second rcx.
think about it,  really we all only wanted one more motor output.  and
to get it you have to use a second RCX and half your score. so you end
up with 2 unused motor outputs for nothing......

lets try this system, if it works we keep it.  if we find that everyone
shows up with a 6' bot then maybe we'll go back to the old rules.

As always  these are everyone's games and the majority rules.   if most
people want to ship Toronto's garbage up north.......

oops.

I meant to say that if most people want to have size limitations or lego
purity then we go with the majority.  if we (Calum and I) get little or
no feedback then we will happily be the oligarchy that we are.  :)

Chris
Lego Walker now @
www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm