 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 19
18  |  20
Subject:
Next competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:35:00 GMT

So after a brief discussion with friends, hashed out a few ideas...
I try to distinguish between the letter of the law nad the spirit of the law.
When we went to Guelph and Victor first saw my cube 'bot, I felt as if I broke
the spirit of the law, after all, my cube did fit (just) in 1 foot by 1 foot.
But anyone could build a 'bot out of solid LEGO.  Put a block in the ring and
wait for the other 'bot to drive off... you'd either end up with a win or a
tie.
So that said, the block stacking, being 'open' now, I'm sure that some of us
have enuf pieces to build a 'bot that will covver the entire floor (or pretty
close).
Not that I care and I would definitly like to see that.
However, Calum said on the homepage for the 6th annual that if certain 'bots
showed up that didn't meet standards, they could still be used, but as
demonstrations.
When I heard that the size frame was gone, I immediately thought I would
design a huge 'bot like they had in that one LEGO competition in California (
I think) where the 'bots looked as if they were at least 3 feet by 3 feet,
some with 18 battery boxes.  Sweet to look at, but for fair competition?
Hey, I'll do it if I can...
But imho, if we're allowing more than one RCX to start, then perhaps we should
have a size limitation.
That way it's not about how many pieces you have but about how you can put
them together.
Me thinks that most, if not all of this, has been said before--just
reiterating.
Again, imho.
I'll follow specs (for a change)
Hard at work generating plastic dust for the competition (for, so I'm told,
that's pretty normal)
Dave
http://www.redeemer.on.ca/~dkoudys/mind.htm