 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1764
Re: Aaargh. L272 IC needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 06:25:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Benjamin Medinets writes:
it looks like DCC is a closer realization at (or with) rtlToronto than was
possible...Awesome....I still like that DCC joystick/controller for $150...
it looked very neat (I saw it at my local hobby shop)....
but I really don't want to spend that kind of dough on something like that...
it just looked (as I said) incredibly cool....

Well, the first rtlToronto DCC will be switchable.  Here's the deal from the
enduser standpoint:

a) your motor pack has to be modified to allow for the DCC decoder to drive
it.  This means installing a small switch inside it and some extra wiring.

b) you need an outboard DCC decoder.

Some of you may choose to buy DCC encoders (ie, the handheld throttles, etc)
or build your own (ie, TMWDCC TMW1/TMW5 like the one we're building for
train2) or just have a decoder to participate on group layouts.

The switch will allow the decoder to be removed and the pack to be used on a
regular 9V train layout.

Anyways, we're just floating the initial deal in August 11th, maybe at most
two or three locos with DCC, ie, only one loop or segment DCC powered, one
or two throttles, one main CPU.

Now comes the very last remaining component required for our plan:  I need a
PCMCIA joystick adapter.  I'm trying ebay but if anyone knows a good source...

Calum