 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1727
Re: Aaargh. L272 IC needed.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 02:57:21 GMT

We've run into a little bit of a snag with Operation DCC.  Mario has done up
the TMW5 Booster board, but we're missing an IC for the decoder unit.

It's the SGS Thompson L272, a dual power op amp in a DIP package.  We need
the L272M, the eight pin DIP variant.  And we need one for every decoder.
Anyone have a line on these?  We've tried Supreme on Queen, Electrosonic,
Active Components.  I'm even willing to desolder them from dead VCRs and the
like.  Our last ditch is to order from DigiKey or Mouser.

Anyone?

I'm no help on that... but I'm anxious to learn more about the project's
progress when you guys have time to talk about it.

I spent a bit of time talking with Tom Cook while at the fest, he showed me
his installations. He's using a commercially available N scale decoder
rather than assembling his own. The installations looked pretty neat/orderly
to me... the board is encapsulated with only the leads coming out of it. Are
you going to encapsulate yours once assembled?

He had a bank of capacitors across the motor leads on the receiver output
but the units still are noisy. I got to run his rig, I'm not sure I like the
MRC controller, I got confused about which channel was controlling which.
That caused some "cornfield meets" (railroad slang for head on collisions).

He also had the automatic reverse loop relay in operation. Pretty freaky to
see a train go round a reversing loop with no human intervention at toggle
switches and the like. However, because the turnouts are power directing
(usually a very useful thing) it meant you had to throw the turnout once
your engine came off the isolated loop segment or it would stop as the track
would be dead.