 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16218
16217  |  16219
Subject:
K, haven't had this much LEGO fun in a while...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:46:44 GMT

So I've been using Mark Riley's DCC for the longest time (as many of you know)

http://home.surewest.net/markril/lego/dcc/index.html

And I've probably mentioned this before--I'm trying to automate my layout to
basically be a 'GBC'--

http://www.teamhassenplug.org/GBC/

Those who were at the Christmas train show last year saw the prelim attempts at
the train layout/GBC thingy.

The issue back then--I was using the RCX with NQC to control train motors via
the track, treating the train motor like it was just a 'connected' technic
motor--I couldn't control the trains very well at all--they kept going too fast
or too slow, and smashing (which is not a good thing, except for the kids
watching)

Mark also came up with an NQC to DCC communications protocol.  I didn't try this
at all last year 'cause it looked way over my head.

However, that has changed now.  For the last few nights, I've been NQC
programming furiously and it's going quite swimmingly.

The good bit is that, since my entire layout is DCC, I can control the trains
and functions manually using the LEGO remote (as we all do), or I can just run
the NQC program from another RCX to see how it's going.

The really good bit is that, besides the switch motors, and sensors, everything
is controlled via DCC--you may remember the control blocks I've previously
posted about--

http://www.sandysparky.net/ltraindcc.htm

Well, now these DCC blocks are being used for motor/light connections through
the layout so I don't have to run wires back to the RCX's

I hope to have videos up soon, but I've had to rebuild most of the layout--it's
smaller (for me to manage better to bring to shows and bring it into the realm
of actually having enough brick to actually complete it) and I have to change
much of the hoppers and such.

It's going to be very close to what the first videos looked like--

http://sandysparky.net/blog/00000295.php

except the trains'll be controlled via DCC instead of NQC--smoother and more
reliable.

Anyway, I wanted to share the excitement!

Dave K