 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16213
Re: winch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 02:37:35 GMT

Iain Hendry wrote:

"Derek Raycraft" <derek@djr.ca> wrote:

http://www.boats4sail.info/pics/winch.jpg

Maybe,  I think the idea was we didn't want people to wind the rope
through some complex mechanism, or tie a knot in the rope.  This is
leaning towards doing that.

see, this is why i asked.

I think the rope should pull freely in either direction before the start
of the contest.

Well, that's the thing about using a capstan.  As they're normally used, the
operator just loops the rope around the thing once or twice, and the rope
can still freely move in either direction.  So for that part of our rule, I
think Chris' device could pass.

snip

ya, see, thats my point.  using a capstan, the rope can move VERY
freely.     But still...  I will wait for Dave, to say he dont care
either way, and Calum to say its against the rules.

:)

Does anyone else remember "The Secret Life of Machines"?  On the episode of
"The Secret Life of the Lift [Elevator]", Tim and Rex demonstrate a capstan
by building an "Elevator" consisting of a nouse and a bicycle wheel.  That
show was hilarious!

    Iain

OMG!!!

DEATH!!!

I loved "the seceret life of machines" that was an AMAZING show!

Chris