 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16212
Re: winch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2006 22:30:08 GMT

"Derek Raycraft" <derek@djr.ca> wrote:

http://www.boats4sail.info/pics/winch.jpg

Maybe,  I think the idea was we didn't want people to wind the rope
through some complex mechanism, or tie a knot in the rope.  This is
leaning towards doing that.

Kinda agreed... I thought it'd be a "Straight in/straight out" kinda thing.
Not the
"Grade-3-wind-the-tape-through-the-projector-Mrs.-Kensington-so-we-can-learn-about-hydroelectricity."
But I like creative solutions.  I'm curious now what Chris has up his

I think the rope should pull freely in either direction before the start
of the contest.

Well, that's the thing about using a capstan.  As they're normally used, the
operator just loops the rope around the thing once or twice, and the rope
can still freely move in either direction.  So for that part of our rule, I
think Chris' device could pass.  But give it a lil' tug (the rope), and
it'll hoist your load with aparent effortlessness.  It's fun watching them
do this at the locks on the Welland Canal (I spent an afternoon there a few
weeks ago, walking beside the locks on a nice day).

Does anyone else remember "The Secret Life of Machines"?  On the episode of
"The Secret Life of the Lift [Elevator]", Tim and Rex demonstrate a capstan
by building an "Elevator" consisting of a nouse and a bicycle wheel.  That
show was hilarious!

    Iain