 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15746
Re: Question for builders
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:24:47 GMT

How are people's experience with those rubber tracks that come with Mindstorms
kits?

Can they handle alot of weight and still turn?

I've seen them used in early 'obt competitons, but haven't seen much of them
lately.

I made a quicl little track platform that I may expand on, if the tracks can
handle the weight--

http://sandysparky.net/blog/00000419.php

How's everyone else doing?

My experiences with tracks were short lived...before I could get to the issue of
lots of weight, I couldn't even get past the turn part--I found they weren't
really accurate.  Victor and I had tried one early on the "kBot" marble robots.
It would drag on the painted playfield surface and you could never really
predict if it would turn around the same way twice.

So we gave up on it, and I ended up using those large Mindstorms wheels...8t to
24t to wheel, they moved pretty fast and could turn the robot around a lot more
accurately.

This is how I'm doing so far...

http://blogs.mie.utoronto.ca/roller/page/tsangc?entry=project_y_robot_update_1

Calum