 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13972
Re: HOLD ME.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:05:22 GMT

"Steve Lane yahoo.co.uk>" <stevenrobertlane@<nospamplease> wrote:

Whenever I see a race of ball bearings I always think their should be
somthing
inbetween them going the other way, to stop the two surfaces rubbing
together,
but then you'd need somthing to support it, which whould introduce
friction,
which defeats the object.

You're talking about caged bearings.  Caged bearings do have a higher
coefficent of friction over non-caged bearings, but the friction is constant
(in a normal bearing, the balls come into contact intermitently), the life
is extended significantly, but the biggest advantage is an extreme reduction
in noise.  We switched to caged bearings on all our robots and now that
we're doing super high speed stuff there is absolutely no noise from the
bearings now - only the servomotors/gearboxes.

    Iain