 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13948
Re: HOLD ME.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:51:07 GMT

Iain Hendry wrote:

The whole 15kg tool goes FLYING down the end of the 750 mm guide.  Decelerating
PERFECTLY into a hard stop with a solid, quiet, thunk, purring LOUDLY as it
approaches the end position.

I SCREAMED.

HANDS IN AIR, RUNNING AROUND THE SHOP LIKE A CHILD.

I.  LOVE.  FESTO.

    Iain

Iain,

Calm down. Take deep breaths. Nobody knows what the hell you are talking
about. Ever.

When I was about 20 years old, my Dad sent me to a Festo course for
training. Back then, it was all pneumatic computers and self-sequencing
logic, sort of like Kevin Clague does now with LEGO.

Even so, it was pretty friggin cool to see a complex machining centre
work all by itself, with literally hundreds of little low pressure hoses
on the back side of the control box.

The rodless cylinders with integrated encoders must seem like magic.

Cheers, Ralph