 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13950
Re: HOLD ME.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:19:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ralph Hempel wrote:

   Calm down. Take deep breaths. Nobody knows what the hell you are talking about. Ever.

Okay, okay. FESTO time. :)

Rodless Pneumatic Drive - type DGP-...:

The driving element is driven by a rodless pneumatic piston within the cylinder body. A slot in the side of the cylinder body permits coupling. The slot is sealed by an endless band which rides through a guide trough in the driving element. The driving element can be coupled to a moving load by a moment comepensator. The load must be externally guided.

Rodless Pneumatic Drive with Guide - type DGPL-...:

This cylinder type is fundementally identical to type DGP will the addition of a rail and guide carriage. The carriage slides along the rail by means of sliding elements (option ...-GK) or reciculating ballbearing guide (option ...-KF). The carriage is coupled to the driving element so no moment load is placed on the driving element. Type DGPL eliminates the need for external guidance.

Rodless Pneumatic Drive with Guide and Integrated Position Displacement Encoder - type DGPIL-...:

This cylinder type is fundementally identical to type DGPL with the addition of an integrated position displacement encoder built on a magnetorestrictive principle. The position of the carriage is absolutely defined and reported via a connection cable to the axis interface. By this method the position of the carriage can be accuratley controlled by means of the axis interface and proportional control valve.

Axis Interface - type SPC-11-...:

The function of the axis interface is to respond to information derived from a position displacement encoder to control the position of a proportional valve. By means of these two functions the exact position of the carriage on the actuator can be accuratley controlled.

Proportional Control Valve - type MPYE-...:

The proportional control valve is a modified 5/2 valve which can switch at high speeds. The exact position of the spool is defined by the axis interface. Air is supplied to either end of the pneumatic cylinder which is being driven.

The entire package - actuator, valve, controller, filter, hardware, is about half the cost of a similar servo system (actuator, servomotor, driver). The performance is similar. It is an extremly cost effective solution and I’m so happy that I was finally allowed ot use it somewhere.

The most advanced use of servopneumatics I’ve seen is on the DeLaval VMS (Voluntary Milking System). I wrote up a review of that here:

http://duckjock.blogspot.com/2004/12/nathans-delaval-vms.html

   When I was about 20 years old, my Dad sent me to a Festo course for training. Back then, it was all pneumatic computers and self-sequencing logic, sort of like Kevin Clague does now with LEGO.

That is awesome! FESTO didactic reminds me so much of LEGO dacta.

   The rodless cylinders with integrated encoders must seem like magic.

It sounds like farts (1) when it moves. Hehe.

Iain

(1) - wet.