 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12874
Re: Automation Project Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 20:15:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
I know everyone's gung ho on balls, but I'll bring this back to the table
for a thought:

A long time ago (over 3 years ago),  I started a little project to see if I
could build an automated assembly carousel / high speed assembly dial to
build a simple LEGO construction.  I made a simple duck, with a 2x1 inverted
slope brick for the body and tail, 2x1 plate for a beak, and 1x1 brick for a
head.  I'm *still* trying to build a dial-based automation to do this.  I've
somewhat lost interest in it for a while since I'm currently working on an
8-station high speed assembly dial, with ultrasonic welding, leak testing,
and 3-parts assembly (at work) and it's too much fun :)

You know me, I'm all for this kind of project. The marbles are interesting, but
not nearly as cool as actually making something out of lego. This is pretty much
an independant project though. I doubt there will ever be many people who are
motivated enough to pull this off. And handling tiny parts like that must be
really difficult. Manipulating a marble would be 1000 times easier. Maybe if the
parts for the ducks were bigger, or you standardized grippers, pallets, etc. If
everyone has access to "Iain approved" tooling, then it would be more attainable

Anyway, when I talked about it with Calum and Rob, the 3 of us thought it
would make a great project to do as a group.  Build modules of automation to
a specific size.  Use pallets for proper queueing and buffering between
modules (pallet based automation is simple and extremly flexible, it is the
easiest way to integrate several suppliers automatiuon together, as far as
I'm concerned).  We could design a more complex part to be assembled, and
each person would be assigned an input state and output state for the part.
So, using the duck for example, I might have the first task of loading the
body piece into the pallet, then passing it off to Dave's module.  Dave's
module places and presses-on the beak.  Then Dave releases the pallet to
Ka-On, who has to add the head.  Ka-On's module passes it to Wayne's, where
he has to remove the ducks and stack them using a cartesian gantry and
palletizing algorythm into an outfeed system, or something.

It *could* be done, but a lot of work would have to go into standardizing
everything so the modules could be connected easily.

Realistically, how long do you think it would take to build this type of
automation cell?

Oh yeah, I just remembered the control labs... This was why we bought them,
wasn't it?

Rob