 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12875
Re: Automation Project Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:07:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
Anyway, when I talked about it with Calum and Rob, the 3 of us thought it
would make a great project to do as a group.
...  We could design a more complex part to be assembled, and
each person would be assigned an input state and output state for the part.
So, using the duck for example, I might have the first task of loading the
body piece into the pallet, then passing it off to Dave's module.  Dave's
module places and presses-on the beak.  Then Dave releases the pallet to
Ka-On, who has to add the head.  Ka-On's module passes it to Wayne's, where
he has to remove the ducks and stack them using a cartesian gantry and
palletizing algorythm into an outfeed system, or something.

It *could* be done, but a lot of work would have to go into standardizing
everything so the modules could be connected easily.

This sounds like a very cool project, and it would make a great display, but not a
good competition.

The problem is Wayne's module depends on both Ka-On's AND David's module.  If either
doesn't work, the whole thing doesn't work.

It would be very nice to see something like that at a train or hobby show, but
generally the whole thing would need to be assembled and tested before the event.

Steve