 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12860
Re: Primer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:35:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote:
   I never would have realised that “strengths” is quite an interesting word, having only one vowel but 4 syllables...... how cool is that????

I guess that’s more artistic license - I could have sworn it only had 1...

But it DOES have 8 consonants and only 1 vowel, I guess there must be some merit in that.

ROSCO

Well that’s funny Ross,

Because NO, no poetic licence was used with that post.. I took that bit of info from that here (near the bottom) Which incidentally is also the same place I learned my word of the day “floccinaucinihilipilification”, which I felt compelled to post to a different thread earlier because clearly I have no life.

But then that wasn’t enough proof, so I researched it (wasting yet another 3 minutes of my life), and..... well research sucks!

Oxford online says... re longest one syllable word “The one most commonly cited is screeched (nine letters). However, one ought to mention also scratched, scrounged, scrunched, stretched, and the plural nouns straights and strengths”

but then.....

Websters online says...... stre ng (k) th, ’ stren (t) th

but then.....

Dictionary.com says .... “No entry found for strengths” but said this for “strength” which I found strangely fascinating......

“Although the word strength is not spelled with a k, it is most often pronounced (strngkth), with a (k) sound inserted between the (ng) and the (th). This intrusive (k) occurs for a simple reason: In making the transition from the voiced velar nasal (ng) to the voiceless dental fricative (th), speakers naturally produce the voiceless velar stop (k), which is made at the same place in the mouth as (ng) but is voiceless like (th)”

So basically, I’m confused and now have totally given up my urge to post haiku mainly because when language becomes mathematics then I can no longer have the same enthusiasm.

Janey “Insomniac Red Brick”