 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12641
Re: Some interesting stats on Sparky's Space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:02:43 GMT

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 06:36:18PM +0000, Calum Tsang wrote:
Could someone explain to be how to turn on reverse DNS hostname
logging on apache? I'd like to do that for peach.

# HostnameLookups: Log the names of clients or just their IP addresses
# e.g., www.apache.org (on) or 204.62.129.132 (off).
# The default is off because it'd be overall better for the net if people
# had to knowingly turn this feature on, since enabling it means that
# each client request will result in AT LEAST one lookup request to the
# nameserver.
#
HostnameLookups Off

Note that if you're already using webalizer, you can have it do the
lookups all at once, instead of apache doing it in realtime.  For most
cases, you won't notice the difference, and apache will thank you.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com