 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12606
Re: Make gears quieter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:03:35 GMT

and an annoying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep after 3 wrong codes.

Cool, this is exactly what you need.  Even a small code space is good if
there is a code entry delay that makes walking the space take an
unreasonable amount of time.

My recommendation would be to use as many digits in the code as the
device allows.

good advice.  now I need to change my code from 1234 to 12345678

no one will EVER guess THAT!

oops.

good thing no one read this lug!

those locks are the ones with the 4 or 5 brushed silver buttons verticly right?

Ya, I think we worked out the code space is less then 1000 combinations.
  Even when they changed the code to one that required two buttons to be
pressed at the same time it took just over 10 minutes to crack it.

Iain, had some good info/ideas/device on cracking those simple 40# master combo
locks.

actually there is a web page of a guy who built a non-lego one.

AND calum can chime in about my exploites of "hacking" an old c-64 to crack my
"installer" alarm code.

ahhh the good old days....

Part of the problem with these locks is there is no delay between
entries.  I think we could test close to 50 combinations per minute,
especially at the beginning of the code space.  Got slower when you had
to start entering paired numbers.  Mostly because it gets tricky to
remember the patterns so you don't miss anything.

so your section at work was VERY productive at work then?

all good suggestions. and ALL are implemented.  Along with the man trap, and
front door pit of death, that i keep covered with the throw rug.

You know, I have one simple request...and that is to have sharks with
frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. Now evidently, my
cycloptic colleague informs me that that can't be done. Ah, can you
please remind me what I pay you people for? Honestly, throw me a bone
here...what do we have? - Dr. Evil

Derek

how about a Bear, holding a shark? (srong bad)

Chris

BING BING BING!!

how about a safe cracking rtl game???

get a few random locks, and you have to build a robot to hack the combo?

SEE, this is why i start OT threads. I can ALWAYS bring them back to lego.