 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12605
Re: Make gears quieter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:32:51 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:
the manufacture CALIMS close to 1/2 a MILLION different codes.  I dont have the
background with the mechanical 5 button units to disprove the 20 min hack. BUT
to make me sleep at night, this electronic version does have some kind of delay,
and an annoying beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep after 3 wrong codes.

Cool, this is exactly what you need.  Even a small code space is good if
there is a code entry delay that makes walking the space take an
unreasonable amount of time.

My recommendation would be to use as many digits in the code as the
device allows.

those locks are the ones with the 4 or 5 brushed silver buttons verticly right?

Ya, I think we worked out the code space is less then 1000 combinations.
  Even when they changed the code to one that required two buttons to be
pressed at the same time it took just over 10 minutes to crack it.

Part of the problem with these locks is there is no delay between
entries.  I think we could test close to 50 combinations per minute,
especially at the beginning of the code space.  Got slower when you had
to start entering paired numbers.  Mostly because it gets tricky to
remember the patterns so you don't miss anything.

all good suggestions. and ALL are implemented.  Along with the man trap, and
front door pit of death, that i keep covered with the throw rug.

You know, I have one simple request...and that is to have sharks with
frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. Now evidently, my
cycloptic colleague informs me that that can't be done. Ah, can you
please remind me what I pay you people for? Honestly, throw me a bone
here...what do we have? - Dr. Evil

Derek