 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12603
Re: Make gears quieter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:57:28 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:
Guys,

How can I reduce the noise that comes from a set of gears?

Maybe some thick grease of some sort would help.

I have a cool new weiser lock set; the automated kind.  Forget keys, just punch
in a code.  Its so cool!!!

How big is the code space on that lock?  We had the mechanical form of
this kind of lock on one of the doors here at work.  The kind with 5
buttons.  We worked out that worse case a person could crack it in less
then 20 minutes.

We pointed this out to facilities, but they didn't listen.  After the
office was robbed, we pointed it out again.  They still didn't listen.
So we proceeded to crack the combination and give it to them every time
they changed it.  After the second robbery they smartened up and removed
it.  Haven't been broken into since.

A front door is not an unreasonable place to put one of these locks.
Someone might notice a person standing at your door punching numbers.  I
wouldn't put on on a back door though.  I'd also disable it if I was
away on vacation.

Derek