 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12602
12601  |  12603
Subject:
Make gears quieter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:22:12 GMT

Guys,

How can I reduce the noise that comes from a set of gears?

O.T. (duh its rtl)

I have a cool new weiser lock set; the automated kind.  Forget keys, just punch
in a code.  Its so cool!!!

When I leave the house, I lock the door by pressing ONE BUTTON!!!  thats the
goos news. the bad news is that the simple 3v dcv motor, drives what is
essentially a worm to 24 (ish) gear set. This actions slams the bolt into place.
It really is DEATH!!!

The bad news is that the the motor noise, and 2 second gear whirring(?) noise is
enuff to wake sleeping babe's.

OTHER than adding sound insulation around the housing, what can i do to quiet
this down.

YES i know I can find a quiet non-toy 3V DC motor, but that would require a
complete rebuild.

What causes gear noise? is it just the lash??

Chris