 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1259
1258  |  1260
Subject:
R8 and soon R9
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 00:22:21 GMT

I have a jumble of thoughts and statements.

was everyone pleased with the room size???  Should we continue to rent
all 3 rooms.   for those who remember the last robot games, we just had
1 room.

A big Thank you to CALUM who did Much for this event.  I'd like to
hazard a guess and say that we're almost At the point where this is
becoming  second nature.   Calum, I really liked the FOH table.   the
ever playing video, and pamphlets worked well. (BTW FOH is Front of
House)

I had A good time At R8.  I don't care what Ben says, I thought the idea
for my robot(s) was cool.    sure it only worked properly ONCE but hey,
that's robots.

I'd like to discuss the next robot game.

AFTER the robot game about 10 or more hard-core robotieres went to Mel's
and had our usual POST MORTUM.    This quickly became a tradition
several games ago.  IT's turned out to be where we (Calum and I) get
most of our ideas and rules for up coming games.    Yesterday was no
exception.

I'm not quite sure about the sequence of events but it started with the
"trainees"  splintering off to discuss stud width, or some such, and us
real men,  got down to business to chat about robots.   This is what I
feel is a good summary:

7 of us mostly agreed that we were SICK OF THOSE DAMN BLOCKS

(WARNING MUCH MOCKAGE!!!!!)

WARNING!!

To that end we wanted a nw game.  Generally this conversation goes
something like this:

Bruce:   (in a whiny voice)   I want a game where we don't have to build
a A C steering skid robot.

Chris: (shakes head and mutters)  here he goes again.

Dave:  I don't really care, whatever you choose is fine with me.

Rob:  I want Stacking.

Chris:  (stares at waitress)

Dave:  I'd go for the drag race

Chris:   BORING!!!!  think of something else Dave.

Bruce: Iain builds really nice gantry robots, how about something like
that??

Chris:  (mutters)  he's doing it again.  (still shaking head)

Chris:  HOW about a drag race where the WALL is the finish line.  Think
of the carnage!

Dave:  YA, I'm in.

Bruce:  NO wait.  what fun is that, where is the audience participation?

Chris: Hey Bruce, where was your robot..... Mr. "my RCX is broken" :(

Bruce:  (punches Chris)

Rob: I liked my stacking robot.  I feel if I had one more time to try It
I'd win.

Dave: Ok, I'm in.  I'm all for stacking.

------------------------snip a bunch more mockage ALL around, and a few
more punches --------------------------

--BING--

Bruce:  Why do we have to have a game with the 8'  X  8'  play field??

Chris:  DUH, cause we own it. (shakes head)

Shane:  How about some kind of monkey bar game??

Chris:  Huh??  what do you mean?

Shane:  I don't know,  something like a kids playground thing.

Chris:  I GOT IT!!!!   how about a game where you have to build a robot,
that races underneath a ladder that is suspended horizontally across 2
tables.  the first robot to reach the other side wins?  the robot could
NOT ever touch the floor, it has to fit in a 1' cube, and starts ONLY on
the first rung.   then, by only climbing under the rungs,   monkey
across the 8' span. then at the end have the robot, press some button to
end the race.  If we have a button, then you will need some smarts in
you robot.  versus just having a battery powered climber.

Bruce:  Chris, that's a GREAT idea, your so smart.
Dave:  Ok I'm in.
Rob:   OK.  I like it.
Steve:   its a bit hard.  but Ok.

Ok, this was more or less how it happened.  All the names were changed
to protect the innocent.    I'll do a more formal post of what the exact
game will be, but don't expect it to change much from what was just
typed.

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm