 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11007
Re: Amusments Parks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 02:15:51 GMT

"Todd Thuma" <thumat@gactr.uga.edu> wrote:

1. X is one of the most unusual coasters in world

X looks stunning in theory, it's a great concept and I only hope one day
Intamin, B+M or Vekoma can take that Arrow trash and rework their general
idea into something that actually works properly and doesn't tear itself to
pieces :)

2. Evolution was the first looping coaster in the world

I've heard that Revolution is brutal now that they've installed shoulder
bars.  :(  Herr Achterbahn is rolling in his grave...

3. Batman the ride was the first hanging coaster in the world

(The first inverted was actually Batman at Great America in '92.)

4. Goliath and its twin Titan in Texas are one of the tallest and longest • drops
in the NorthAmerica (TGop Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point recently beat
them out)

(Millennium Force and Steel Dragon 2000 at Nagashima Spaland as well)  Titan
is fantastic, you're right, the drop is huge.  Wonder what Giovanola have
been up to these days.

5. Scream is a new one that looks interesting

Yes, I love it when parks build coasters on top of parking spaces:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/xcountry/sfmm3.jpg  (Now *that's* themeing!)

MarineWorld's floorless looks far better (Medusa).  Custom layout with some
great inversions, and a straight drop.

6. There was so much work going on in the park that everything must be • working
by now, right?

One would think.  :)

By the way, the Deja Vu ride was constructed at about 6 or 8 locations • around
the world by Vekome. Called an inverted roller coaster in a bomerang

(4 "Giant Inverted Boomerang" coasters by Vekoma were constructed - 3 called
Deja Vu at North American SixFlags parks, and Stunt Fall at WBMW in Spain.)

The problem is the limit sensors that check to see if the ride has • returned to
the safety position for loading an unloading.

That may only be a small part of it.  I suspect the actual problems with
that ride are a lot more than with the homing sequence at the end of the
ride.

then shut down repeatedly. When the train is breaked through the station, • the
ride must meet certain limit switches before it will release the harnesses • to
allow riders to exit and enter. I watched as nearly every third operation

Operationally there are no brakes in the station - the train returns to lift
one where the catch wagon captures it after matching the speed of the train,
before lowering it back to the station.  The brakes are only used in the
event of a rollback, where the train doesn't make the catch wagon for
whatever reason.  The brakes prevent the train from valleying in the cobra
roll, or between the vertical loop and lift 2.

Hopefully Vekoma will not be put out of business as Caripro was from their
trouble with Batflyer (Spellbreaker at Legoland) was. Oh, and, Vekoma • bought
Caripro.

Vekoma seems to still be doing alright again, finally.  Their new products
announced at Interschau and IAAPA look phenominal, I'm particulairily
excited about their new Sportbike coaster.

    Iain