 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10959
Re: WANTED -- ideas to teach kids about lego roboitcs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:11:22 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:

"It stands there."

   Actually, I'll chime in on Steve's side here - Sumo is not what rtlToronto is
about, but having kids smash robots together is, usually, a hit. One option is
have a standard chassis with easily switchable gearing (different gear ratios),
possibly swap-outable (how's that for a word?) wheels/treads, and let them
decorate all they want. With my group, 40t gears made great chainsaws...
   I tried this approach with my five-year-old once: he built a really stupid,
weak, 6"-in-the-air 1' long ram... that promptly sheared off all my motor
connections on the first impact. Darn kid...
   What age are they? You could try robot soccer, with a light-seeking robot as
the "ball". Have the kids stand on either end of an arena with flashlights, and
program the robot to "loose" the light source occassionally (to keep it
interesting)?

--
Brian Davis