 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1072
1071  |  1073
Subject:
The right balance of original and reuse (was Re: Track counts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 20:35:25 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Larry Pieniazek writes:

You guys are reinventing the stuff that a lot of other clubs have already
figured out, which is fun, of course, and it's always nice to see some
independent confirmation.

You know, it's something I think we need to do overall-it's good for us to
discover solutions to our own problems that may be unique (or very common).
Maybe we'll come to the same conclusion, maybe we won't.  Somethings we'll
borrow outright (PNLTC tables for example) but other things we'll venture in
relatively unknown into (DCC).  But it's the fun of doing it, as you
mention, and figuring it out.  We're bringing in a lot of experience with
running events overall, and picking up things along the way.

I'll mention the example of the fact we've done six Technic events since mid
1999 and while a group in Austria nearly copied exactly what we did, down to
event rules and specs, they still had lots of things to discover themselves
and come up with solutions for.  (We built a custom playfield of 1/2" ply
that is 8x8' and lug it around in a pickup truck-they just set up a
collapsing border and plunk it down on the floor :)

I think you're spot on. You have to find the right balance between doing
what everyone else did whether it's right or wrong, and reinventing
everything. What is great about LUGNET is that you have an opportunity to
get advice and input from all over the world!

All that advice is useful but not necessarily because you ought to heed it.
Take it all in, relax, realise that people giving advice are doing so
because they mean well, then do what you as a group feel is best without
worrying about whether it's what the advice givers think is right or not.
They're not there. You are.

I say the above because while I think you (Calum) realise it, I suspect
there are others in your group that haven't quite internalised it yet and
see advice as interference or meddling rather than help. It's not. It's just
input to do with as you wish, including cheerfully ignoring it.

As far as DCC goes, I look forward to what you guys uncover! This is a
fruitful area for investigation. There will be a seminar on DCC at BrickFest
which I look forward to. I was talking with Steve Bliss and Ross Crawford
about DCC just this afternoon before Ross left, and the possibilities are
pretty exciting.

The big problem with implementing DCC is that purists have to hold their
nose because you cannot escape modifying the 9V motor to break the
connection between the track pickup and the motor. All the rest is not that
hard.

++Lar