 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10560
Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 07:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

   My issue is how to motorize the wheels without making it look stupid, ie having giant motor pods on the ends of the “suspension”. You can’t do it with micromotors (not enough torque)...

Have you actually tried it with six of them? Perhaps geared down? I know, that’s criminally slow, but the real things only move (at top speed!) 2 cm/sec... I’ve only got 2-3 gear motors, but I suspect it might work for a lighter version. I know this is getting away from the simple “motorize the LEGO-supplied model” ideal, however.

I’ve been thinking that maybe it could work (not optimally, but it’d move) by redesigning the two center non-swivelling wheels with a motor on each, slaved from the same RCX control. Properly geared down, it may have enough oomph to move the full mass of the rover+RCX slowly, probably about the same speed as the real-life version. That’s a lightly ugly solution. Other motors could then use input to steer, point the PanCam Mast and comm dish, etc. At that point it’d also be possible to put sensors on and write a “follow the line” program too. But that’d undoubtedly take more time than I’ve got before mid-February.

Well, halfway there!

I’ve replaced the middle tire assemblies with some stepped-down motors and attached them to the actual unit. The wires are threaded up through the guts of the structure and hooked up to the RCX. Success! It moves and moves well, at a believable pace (not sprinting, not sluglike).

Note the removal of the middle tires in the above shot. The motorized assemblies are at bottom. They’re a bit blocky, but once they’re mounted and the rover is on its wheels, you can’t tell.

There’s a closeup of the motor itself. Note the motor axle uses a small gear, which meshes with the much larger gear behind the tire itself. The motor is not incredibly sturdy, but it does have 10 studs locked, which seems to be enough to keep it solid while moving.

Using the above configuration, I was able to get it to move smoothly over the carpet. The steering connections between wheels is very loose, and any little bump in the road shifts a tire just enough to make it wander drunkenly. Kind of fun to watch, really.

Now, to lobotomize the rest of the rover to fit in the RCX. The cavity is almost exactly the width and length of an RCX, as if they designed it to work this way. Most of the “extra” functions (unfolding the “arm”, moving the comm dish, folding up the solar panels, erecting the mast, etc) need to be stripped to make room for the RCX, if there’s any possibility of putting the central solar panels back on flush. The above is my halfway-finished hack job. One note: I’m having to redesign the outer structure to be sturdy enough to support the solar panels, now that some of the central stuff is coming loose. I also need to find a way to keep the steering mechanism unencumbered, which takes up the bottom half of the body core.

It’s an ugly scalpel job that will leave scars, and frankly I don’t see how I can make it any more fragile, but I’m shooting to have this completed by tomorrow’s touchdown of Opportunity. Cross your fingers!

Kelly