 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10555
Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 21:17:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Brian Davis wrote:
Calum Tsang wrote:

My issue is how to motorize the wheels without making it look
stupid, ie having giant motor pods on the ends of the "suspension".
You can't do it with micromotors (not enough torque)...

   Have you actually tried it with six of them? Perhaps geared down? I know,
that's criminally slow, but the real things only move (at top speed!) 2
cm/sec... I've only got 2-3 gear motors, but I suspect it might work for a
lighter version. I know this is getting away from the simple "motorize the
LEGO-supplied model" ideal, however.

Nik built a 6 wheel rocker bogie rover (unsteered and straight drive, not
geared) with 6 micromotors. It works, sort of. But as soon as you get in a
little trouble terrainwise, if a motor binds up, you're done for. Those motors
bind easily and you then are picking it up and unbinding motors to get it to
work again.

++Lar