 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10548
    Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —Calum Tsang
   (...) I was wondering about this one myself while building it the night before. My issue is how to motorize the wheels without making it look stupid, ie having giant motor pods on the ends of the "suspension". You can't do it with micromotors (not (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —Brian Davis
   (...) Me too - the Pathfinder rover was what ended my dark ages, trying to replicate the suspension. I did eventually make a non-steering rover body with the unsprung suspension that carried an RCX (massive structure, since I only had two motors and (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Nik built a 6 wheel rocker bogie rover (unsteered and straight drive, not geared) with 6 micromotors. It works, sort of. But as soon as you get in a little trouble terrainwise, if a motor binds up, you're done for. Those motors bind easily and (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —Kelly McKiernan
   (...) I've been thinking that maybe it could work (not optimally, but it'd move) by redesigning the two center non-swivelling wheels with a motor on each, slaved from the same RCX control. Properly geared down, it may have enough oomph to move the (...) (21 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

        Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —Kelly McKiernan
   (...) Well, halfway there! I've replaced the middle tire assemblies with some stepped-down motors and attached them to the actual unit. The wires are threaded up through the guts of the structure and hooked up to the RCX. Success! It moves and moves (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

        Re: Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover? —David Laswell
   (...) I've been wondering about this for a while, but if the final result does end up being a bit sluggish, or not quite powerful enough to drive over small pebbles, would it help to hook two drive motors up to each of the center wheels? I get the (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)