 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 223
Re: Plans for next NALUG layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 18:39:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
I wanted the whole layout to be 8 wide friendly, Kevin reports that
Big Red takes 14 bricks of clearance from the ties on the track...

14 high shouldn't be a problem - that's the clearance I was after.

I would like to make the mountain "double-decker" for want of a better
term.  Most train layouts only explore two dimensions - I like to have
inclines and trains crossing over one another.  (I was making such
layouts with blue 4.5v track two decades ago.)  IMO you should remake
the mountain with a track going through AND a track going over.  By the
way, yes I'll have tons of black bricks soon, (to answer your earlier
question) but don't you want grey from James to expand the mountain?
One of the loops could incline up, cross over one of my bridges and
the mountain and slope back down to normal level.  While elevated, it
could cross over some train tracks, and at one point, when the monorail
is at the same level as it, the monorail could dip down under it.  This
would be the inverse of the little arch over the container crane, and
I think it would be a real crowd pleaser to have the monorail headed
straight for the train in the same plane, and then dip underneath it.

Having two train tracks cross over each other will not work at this time...

This is LEGO - anything will work.  8-)    (Just have to figure it out.)

The black bricks are for the inner wall lining the tunnel, obviously grey
will be the outside color of the mountain.  I also would like the mountain
to be twice as high as the previous version, but I want to leave a lower
space to fit Chris' neat narrow gauge locomotive.

Sounds great.  See what you think of my modifications.  I moved the
mountain (hey - I moved a mountain - cool) to the upper left and put
the Octan yard in with the containers.  They're both industrial, so they
should work well together. (That's what we had two weeks ago right?)
That gave me room to make a big switching yard "south of town",
and I put in the inclines to go over the big bridge and mountain.
It needs some of your expert modification, but it should give you a
pretty good idea of what I have in mind.  Here's a screen shot of
the layout:    http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=16397

I've e-mailed the Ver.3 file to you and John.

SRC