 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 214
Re: Plans for next NALUG layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:33:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, Michel Magnan writes:
While I was still hyped up from our show, I have been sketching
a tentative layout for next year...

I had a look - nice - I've appended some thoughts about it.

The monorail starts as a loop at ground level at the top right of the
layout, climbs to one pilon height, crosses the bridge, then climbs
another pilon, before crossing over train track, then turns down, once
over more train track, down to one pilon, where another station is
located, (next to the regular train station), then up one pilon to
two pilon height, to clear more train track, to the final loop in the
bottom left corner, where we can reuse our previous 2 story monorail
station.

Why up and down so much?  Double height isn't needed for going over
train tracks, although it does leave good clearance if it's double.

Keep in mind that I can make one or more of my monorail spirals.
One full circle spiral is one pillar high, so I could make the part
that goes over the train tracks 1.75 high by using 7 curves at one
corner of the layout and 3 at the other (leading onto normal pillars)
or something like that.  I would also like to run the monorail
UNDERNEATH the train at one point.  (See below for more details.)

This brings the Lego citizens from downtown, to the train station,
to the stadium...  ...with one set of bleachers, looking outwards
onto a nonexistant field.

Why not use the soccer sets and make part of a soccer stadium?

The bottom and right side are pretty well free to be designed, looking
for any and all suggestions, need to incorporate the switching yard for
the intermodals, and the mountain, possibly my roundhouse.
The more I think about it the more I think the mountain should be
rebuilt.  If we have it in a curve, the clearance required will be
outrageous, so I think a mountain built on two of the large grey
plates with a straight length of track would probably be better.

I would like to make the mountain "double-decker" for want of a better
term.  Most train layouts only explore two dimensions - I like to have
inclines and trains crossing over one another.  (I was making such
layouts with blue 4.5v track two decades ago.)  IMO you should remake
the mountain with a track going through AND a track going over.  By the
way, yes I'll have tons of black bricks soon, (to answer your earlier
question) but don't you want grey from James to expand the mountain?
One of the loops could incline up, cross over one of my bridges and
the mountain and slope back down to normal level.  While elevated, it
could cross over some train tracks, and at one point, when the monorail
is at the same level as it, the monorail could dip down under it.  This
would be the inverse of the little arch over the container crane, and
I think it would be a real crowd pleaser to have the monorail headed
straight for the train in the same plane, and then dip underneath it.

As for the bottom and lower-right corner, let's skip the wimpy three
segment sidings, and make a proper switching yard.  I'd fill the entire
bottom section six tracks across.  Should I make up a design or modify
Michel's and generate another "photo" so you guys have a better idea?

SRC
(Just thinking out loud)