 Organizations / Australia / 698
Re: Roll Call form
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.au
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 08:41:38 GMT

Hi Kerry,

Kerry Raymond wrote:

Name:  Mark Harrison
Year of Birth:  1960
First LEGO Set: 8858
LEGO Dark Age: 1960 to 1994
First LEGO set after the Dark Age:  8858

What kind of deprived childhood did you have, Mark? No Lego?

That's right, no lego.

Were your
parents missionaries in Outer Mongolia or something? :-)

No, they were middle class.

I spent every cent I had on another hobby back then (13+), but lost interest in
the early 90's. My innate desire to collect things drew me to lego, which is
durable and it's desirability is not restricted to any one particular country.
These were the two main problems with my previous hobby.

I convinced myself when I first got into lego that it was for the pleasure of
building, which is the case to some degree, but after investing the time and
money I have so far, I have to be honest that it is the thrill each time, of
snagging a set from the list of sets I'm after, that I really enjoy.

I do like building my own creations but using spare parts, not breaking up sets.

I'm really interested that someone would take up a Lego hobby (as
enthusiastically as you have) as an adult. I just assumed we were all
reliving our childhood on vastly superior incomes :-)

Actually, thinking back to my childhood, I don't recall ever buying Lego for
myself. It was always given to me as a present. But then I didn't really
have any source of income, apart from a little bit of pocketmoney intended
to buy lollies and icecreams at the school tuckshop.

Kerry