 Off-Topic / Geek / 733
Re: S3 Trio3D & XFree86?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 01:50:00 GMT

I work for IBM in the Netfinity Server line, and my understanding is the S3
Trio 3d card doesn't work consistently with Xfree.  Of course that's the
chipset we use on a few of our systems.

We 'support' Linux on the NF line and my main Linux guru always says to put
in a third party card and no &*$# with it.   he's one of the guys that
helped design that 256 Linux cluster up in New York State somewhere, so I
trust him.

So, I'd say, get another vid. card.

l8r

Tom

"Sproaticus" <jsproat@io.com> wrote in message
Todd Lehman wrote:
Anyone out there have any luck getting an AGP S3 Trio3D (86C366) to work
with XFree86 & RHL 6.1?  It's supposed to be supported by • XFree86-3.3.5[1]
but I'm running into a brick wall...

I had beaucoup XFree86 problems with the #9 Imagine 128 II video card -- • it
turns out that the ISA card is supported, but not the PCI card.  Guess • which
one I have!  >:-P  You might find a similar incompatability with the • Trio3D...

Fortunately, I found out that my employer released a fairly decent X • server
for Win32...

Cheers,
- jsproat

Arthur, I have POCKETS!!!