 Off-Topic / Geek / 4750 (-20)
  Re: A question of humidity...

(...) Well, it's a little more complicated than that. The sodium itself doesn't actually explode. It oxidizes in an exo-thermic reaction (meaning that it strips water molecules of their oxygen atoms and produces a lot of heat). The "waste" products (...) (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: A question of humidity...

(...) Pure sodium metal will react with water to form hydrogen and heat energy; more than enough heat energy to ignite the hydrogen. Hydrogen is highly flamable. -Rob. (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.color, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Try to think of the glass as half full. (was: Re: Indiana Jones extends his vacation)

(...) "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth." I mean, how perfect would *that* be? helpfully, LFB (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Indiana Jones extends his vacation.

(...) Ford will be eligible for Medicare before the darn thing comes out (literally). They needed to make this a decade ago... (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Indiana Jones extends his vacation.

You'l have to scroll down a few articles, but it's been (URL) announced> that Lucas gave a "thumbs down" to the latest script, so Indiana Jones 4 won't come out for at least two years now. (20 years ago, 17-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.adventurers)

  Re: The funniest thing I've seen in months

(...) Beats me. What's a non-internet-linked flashplayer? When I pulled a copy outta the cache and tried to play it on IE it jumped to the jibjab site after a quick intro, and then gave me a busy signal. But it skips the redirect when played thru an (...) (20 years ago, 16-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Re: PlayStation 2 accessories in Canada

(...) I don't own a Playstation 2, but here are some places to buy the accessories at: Toys R US. (www.toysrus.ca) Future Shop (owned by Best Buy) (www.futureshop.ca) Zellers (owned by Hudson's Bay Company) (www.hbc.com) Walmart (www.walmart.ca) (...) (20 years ago, 15-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  PlayStation 2 accessories in Canada

If there's anyone out there in Canada who owns a PS2, can you tell me where (store name or website) you would go to buy PS2 acccessories like memory cards and controllers? Thanks! Paul Sinasohn LUGNET #115 BAYLUG (20 years ago, 15-Jul-04, to lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)

(...) I'll buy that, except that the original claim seemed to be that the rotation itself was the factor, not the jetstream. Admittedly, I may have misunderstood the framing of the problem: perhaps the question of east/west travel already assumed (...) (20 years ago, 14-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Geography (was: We'll take in your poor....)

(...) I think the issue is the jet stream. It moves eastward somewhat faster than the ground, so going east you have a tailwind, and going west you have a headwind. Unfortunately for you, the mountains in PA aren't high enough for this to make you (...) (20 years ago, 13-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Ministry Of Information Retrieval

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Chris Giddens wrote: (SNIPPED) (...) Let me repeat. off-topic.geek is NOT an appropriate place to have this discussion. What Chris posted really starts to veer into an .admin topic, actually, as it touches on community (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Ministry Of Information Retrieval

(...) Ehh, I think you've got Scott wrong on this one. His post is a friendly joke pointed at someone Scott knows quite well. (...) If you wanna nail someone who's "moderatin'" then go after me. I've been after post bumpers quite a bit. Dunno why it (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, FTX)

  Setting FUT appropriately (was Re: Ministry Of Information Retrieval

(...) .geek isn't an appropriate FUT in my view(1) and I would appreciate it, should there be someone that needs to comment further, that it either stay where it was, or go to the appropriate admin group if the issue seems to need that level of (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.space, lugnet.build.mecha)

  (canceled)

  Re: LUGNET news RSS feed

(...) Hmmm - never used netnewswire - but can't you have it display the author tag? I've seen other readers do that, bloglines.com for instance. (...) Looking at yesterday's stats[1] (which misleadingly, have today's date), that's about 180 posts. (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Yahoo Blocks Trillian Users

"Mike Walsh" <mike_walsh@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:HztLvG.qA7@lugnet.com... (...) And now it is fixed! (URL) Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com (URL) - North Carolina LEGO Train Club (URL) - Carolina Train Builders (URL) - (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET news RSS feed

(...) Thanks - I've been using this to stay on top of LUGNET and it works great. I use NetNewsWire Lite on MAC OS X, if you care. Couple things I'd like to see though: * Put back the "by Author Name" in the title - the author isn't displayed (...) (20 years ago, 30-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET news RSS feed

(...) Is there a 'category' in RSS? (...) Well, that, and the fact that the author tag is _required_ to have a valid email address in it. :) Dan (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET news RSS feed

(...) For now, you could put the newsgroup in the category. (...) I woulda been happy with just the name, but I guess a programmer aint gonna ignore a challenge ;) (...) Yippee!! Thanks Dan. (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: LUGNET news RSS feed

(...) Nope, just me being braindead. Fixed now (though getting the email address proved more of a challenge than I expected). (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact