 Off-Topic / Geek / 45
Re: awk vs. perl for simple tasks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 18:29:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
That's good if you're snarfing up relatively small files, but what if you're
processing 100 megabytes of STDIN -- say, looking through an httpd log?  And
live tail -f even?  :)

It just occurred to me how useful a live tail util would be.  How would you
implement one in Perl?  Would the one at PPT (1) be the one to check out?
1.  http://language.perl.com/ppt/index.html

Hmm, that implementation of 'tail -f' uses polling on 1-second intervals to
check whether the file size has changed, which, although gross in theory, is
perfectly fine in practice if there aren't a zillion copies of it running.
Dunno how many Unix implementations have file-change events/signals like NT
does, but I'd imagine that many of them do and that the C versions of 'tail'
shipped by the OS vendors would take advantage of this whenever they could.

--Todd