 Off-Topic / Geek / 11
Re: awk vs. perl for simple tasks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 5 May 1999 22:30:58 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
I think perl has a command line option to process STDIN line-by-line in a
simple way (i.e. short number of keystrokes) like awk does

Hmmm...  I *think* a2p handles this by giving the perl script the
"while(<>)" loop.  I don't think perl will do that by itself.

BTW, I think Larry Wall once commented or wrote something to the effect of,
"awk still has to be better than perl at something."

Check perlvar, in the section on $/ (input record separator) -- in Perl, it
can only be a regular string, but in awk, it can be a re.

Personally, I'd undef $/, snarf the entire file, and do a split with an re
on it.  But then, I'm not so familiar with awk.  :-,

Cheers,
- jsproat

"I prefer the term para-mental.  It keeps me out of the loony bin."