 Off-Topic / Geek / 12
Re: awk vs. perl for simple tasks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 02:35:11 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, jsproat@geocities.com (Sproaticus) writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:
I think perl has a command line option to process STDIN line-by-line in a
simple way (i.e. short number of keystrokes) like awk does

Hmmm...  I *think* a2p handles this by giving the perl script the
"while(<>)" loop.  I don't think perl will do that by itself.

Aha, here it is:  perl -ane

BTW, I think Larry Wall once commented or wrote something to the effect of,
"awk still has to be better than perl at something."

Check perlvar, in the section on $/ (input record separator) -- in Perl, it
can only be a regular string, but in awk, it can be a re.

FS is awk is the field separator, not the record separator.  The record
separator in awk is RS.

Hmm, doesn't look like Perl has an input field separator -- only an output
field separator $, and input/output record separators $/ and $\.

Oh well.  I guess the way to do it is

   ... | perl -ne 'chomp; my @F=split /\t/; print "$F[0]\n"'

and at that point it's probably easier to make some little field-
extraction wrappers.  :)

Personally, I'd undef $/, snarf the entire file, and do a split with an re
on it.  But then, I'm not so familiar with awk.  :-,

That's good if you're snarfing up relatively small files, but what if you're
processing 100 megabytes of STDIN -- say, looking through an httpd log?  And
live tail -f even?  :)

--Todd