 Off-Topic / Geek / 4410
Re: New Web Site Launch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 04:39:19 GMT

Max Maxwell <r34_v@hotmail.com> wrote:
no - that will never work.  Any IP that starts with 192.168.x.x cannot
be accessed via the internet.
Well, any idea where I went wrong? I'm using Windows XP, Apache Web
Server, and the domain name focusrs.gotdns.com from http://www.dyndns.org.
I connect to the internet with cable internet through a router. I thought
I finally had my Apache web server working and connecting my pages to the
internet, but I guess not. Anyone with ideas, experience installing/using
Apache, Windows XP anything that would help? Please help! I am extremely
new to running a server off my own home computer!

Your router is what is confusing you. It's probably not merely a router, but
one of those fancy little internet gateway boxes from Linksys or Dlink or
someone. Not only do they act as routers, but they also do something called
Network Address Translation. Your ISP probably gives you only one IP
address, which will be valid on the internet.  Based on the header of your
post, this is probably "24.217.75.125". However, your gateway box will
probably let you have multiple computers attached. Each of these is assigned
a non-public address in the 192.168.x.x range, and the gateway box takes
care of translating these to your public address as requests come in and
out. I can give more details on this if you're curious, but the important
thing is: you need to use the gateway box's configuration interface to
forward incoming port 80 requests to the local IP where your server lives --
192.168.1.102, in this case. Then, you set the DNS to point to your public
address.

[ -> .off-topic.geek ]

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>