 Off-Topic / Geek / 4145
Re: Illegal Operations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:15:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Sean Devolites writes:
I've experienced these problems after:
1.  Logging out of MSN Messenger
Any ideas what in the heck is up?
Hasta la Vista, Sean

Sean,
     Dude, I think the problem's MSN Messenger.  I have problems when
running that, too.  I have an older 100 MHz computer that runs Win95, and it
gets all kind of gummed up when I run MM... so now I don't, and my computer
works as well as ever.  MM seems to take up too much memory and priority,
like a program that just gets all greedy with the RAMspace : "Woo hoo, looky
here... I've got the whole pool to swim in.  It's MY pool!!  Everybody out!"
     Sorry to give such a lame example, but this is the way it feels when I
run it.  I recommend switching to a different chat client more sympathetic
to older systems.  I agree with Erick about upgrading...this calls for minor
action, not an upgrade.  Use the system you have if it does what you need.
If you can't live without MM, then you'll need to upgrade RAM, CPU, and so
on - you'll basically need a newer system just for that one program.  Is it
worth it?
     Hope that helps.  I'm no Uber-geek, just a guy who likes his old
computer and keeps it as healthy as he can.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander