 Off-Topic / Geek / 4138
Re: Illegal Operations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 20:16:17 GMT

Sean Devolites <hotshot3396@hotmail.com> wrote:
Being only partly computer knowledgeable, I have a question.  What is up
with those freakin' 'illegal operation' warnings that the Windows 98 system
tends to put out for just about anything?  What makes these illegal(1) and
why the heck do they either make me have to retreive my desktop or hardboot
my cpu?  HELP ME HERE!!  I dont want to make this to long of a post, but
I've experienced these problems after:

In short, the problem is that you need to remove Windows and install Linux.

In more depth: every program running on your system is given a chunk of RAM,
and is only supposed to use that specific memory area. If the program tries
to write to an area it doesn't own, that's illegal. This *should* just cause
that program to crash without disturbing the rest of the system, but
sometimes, the protection isn't properly enforced and the damage is already
done.

Drivers (for your video card, for example) are programs too, and they often
run in a higher-privileged mode which makes it easier for them to do real
damage. Make sure you have all of your various drivers up to date, and if
you do and you still have problems, try backing them out to slightly older
versions.

It's also possible that you have a hardware error -- bad RAM or something on
the motherboard or CPU. I'd suggested running memtest86 (which comes from
<http://www.memtest86.com/>) to check this out. It's free and
operating-system independent.

To be fair, Windows NT or 2k or XP should be less susceptible to this
problem, since they use a more modern kernel. And it's possible to get Win98
set up so it doesn't crash very often, which may be worth doing, as Win98
(SE) is still the best choice for games.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux      ------>                <http://linux.bu.edu/>