 Off-Topic / Geek / 4110
Re: TXT-file question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:40:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.geek, Thomas Wölk writes:
<snip>
(1) - After being refused training (people in those departments didn't
have the time to train me), I was left to write programs with only help
pages on NT batch and an internet full of helpful examples. I ended up with
a 50K+ batch program with clickable, dynamic menus, and lots of other wacky
advanced things that should NEVER have been done in NT batch code (this
was back in 1997 or so). But it was admittedly pretty cool.

<snip> and <sigh>

oh dear, yup those were the days, writing simple batch files and people
calling you a programer.

Oh, I would usually scoff anyone who called themselves a programmer for
having written batch code, but this stuff was fully fledged programming. My
boss had me doing testing on a linker that was written for a DSP. It started
as "maybe you could run the linker tests all at once with a quickie batch
program" (which wouldn't really have been much 'programming'). But soon it
turned into "maybe we could have various test suites to run and have the
batch program auto-detect whether each test passed or failed". Which turned
into "maybe we can add some flexibility into the pass/fail to detect how
specifically it failed, and have some additional logic to accept 'mild'
failures versus 'critical' ones, etc". Which turned into "Maybe we can use
this to test other things other than just the linker, and make it test
various programs dynamically on dynamically written test suites".

I'm still amazed that no matter how often I asked, my boss just didn't want
me "spending time unnecessarily translating it into C++ or VB". I was
spending so much time doing crappy little work-arounds to make it do simple
output parsing and the like that it woulda been less time to rewrite it in
C++. Oh well.

but i'd rather agree to suggest some fancy notepad clone.

Yep. There's easily gotta be easier ways than messing with batch. Batch IS
technically capable of doing what you want (probably) but wow is it ever a pain.

DaveE